NEBOSH IGC – 2
1. List eight design features and/or safe practice intended to reduce the
risk of Accidents on staircase used as internal pedestrian routes within
· The removal of obstructions
· Provision of non slippery surfaces, together with reflective edging.
· Adequate lighting.
· Effective maintenance of the staircase.
· Width of the staircase
· Provision of handrails
· Dimension of treads and risers
· Provision of landings.
· Provision for disabled persons.
· Possible use of elevators / life as alternative.
· Imposing site rules for using appropriate foot wear.
2. Outline the precautions that might be needed to ensure the safety of
pedestrians in vehicle maneuvering areas
· Separate systems for vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
· Appropriate road markings.
· Maintaining good visibility (mirrors, transparent door, provision of
· Audible warning on vehicles.
· The wearing of high visibility jackets.
· Good standard of house keeping.
· Training for, and supervision of all concerned.
· Enforcement of site rules.
3. Outline the means by which the risk accidents from reversing vehicles
within a workplace can be reduced.
The various means by which the risk of accidents from reversing vehicles
within a workplace can be reduced are.
· Trying to avoid the need of vehicle to be reversed. (One way or
drive through system, turning circles etc).
· Separation of vehicles and pedestrians (barriers, signs etc).
· Aspects of vehicle and workplace design (audible alarms,
mirrors on vehicles and at blind corners, refuges, lighting etc)
· Procedural measures like use of banksmen, site rules, driver
95928463.doc Page 1 of 27
4. Identify the types of hazard that may cause slips or trips at work.
· There are many reasons why people slip or trip at work. The main
reasons are floor poorly being maintained, changes in level (with ramp,
slopes or kerbs), slippery surfaces caused by oil,...