Actions to take in the event of: accidents, incidents, emergencies.
Policies and procedures must always be followed when dealing with any incident.
1. All accidents must be recorded in the accident/injury record sheet book and on head injury form if applicable.
2. All recording of accidents must be done immediately after the child has had the accident.
3. A member of the Leadership Team must be informed of the accident, they will see the child’s injury and sign the accident book and head injury form.
4. Parent/carer is to sign the accident book and head injury form. The accident/injury record sheet stays in the child’s file and the head injury form goes home with the child.
5. In the event of a child requiring hospital treatment, a member of the Leadership Team must:
• Make every effort to contact the child’s parent/carer or emergency contact.
• Take all relevant information in respect of the child to the hospital (medication record, sleep charts etc).
• To minimize distress, staff member will remain with child until parent/carer arrives.
• Where appropriate manager will liaise with the hospital social work team.
• If the child has a social worker, a member of the Leadership Team will ensure all relevant information is conveyed.
The following information must be recorded each time a child has an accident / injury, on
matter how minor it may seem:
1. Date of accident / injury.
2. Time it occurred.
3. Location where accident / injury occurred.
4. Location on child of injury, if applicable head sheet should be completed.
5. A brief description of the accident / injury should be written.
6. Information relating to treatment / first aid/ action should be given.
7. Member of staff completing accident/injury record sheet should sign relevant section.
8. Information should be recorded relating to any follow up treatment ie hospital.
9. Member of the Leadership Team should sign the sheet
10.Parent / Carer should be informed and...