Advantages of Neuromarketing

The concept of Neuromarketing may appear abstract, however, it lends itself across the entire consumer spectrum.   There is no doubt that all consumers have opinions about brands and companies, as customer loyalty has become a buzzword in the marketing lexicon. Neuromarketing attempts to explain the “why” of “what” consumers buy by tapping into the abyss of the subconscious mind.   While there is still much debate about the effectiveness of merging science and marketing, many believe neuromarketing is an effective means of influencing consumer behavior.

So does neuromarketing work?

Consciously, we use about 20% of our brain, which leaves 80% to unconscious activity.   This is where the advantages of neuromarketing are seen.   Historically, tying cognitive responses to selling images has always been difficult.   Researchers have always relied on focus groups or individual interviews to provide feedback on how they feel about a product, which is impossible because people cannot describe their cognitive process. The majority of our daily activities happen in the subconscious level.   As humans, we don’t control the bulk of our attention because our brain is focused on identifying threats in the environment. Because our innate primal instinct is to survive, we are actually bounded by the oldest part of our brain known in layman’s terms as the reptilian brain.
The reptilian brain has been evolving for a long time. Because of this evolution, it relies on stimulus that is non-verbal, doesn’t comprehend strings of words and avoids pain. However, what it lacks in complexity it excels in simplicity. The most important facet of this part of the brain is it’s ability to process visual messages. That is why we prefer pictures instead of words.
While we extol our ability to utilize higher order thought process, our brains have actually relied on instinct for millions of years. The human brain is inundated with roughly 10,000 messages per...