Iraq War

Seth Boyd
Mrs. Frechette
1st period

Should we stay or should we go?

      Have you ever felt that someone’s presence was wrong? Well that’s how the Iraqis & Afghanis feel about the United States in their home. Do you think we should stay or should we go? Some people believe that we should leave Iraq because the civilian and troop death toll has become unnecessary. Those same people believe that $720 million each and every day is too much to spend especially when our government is complaining about money shortage. Others believe that if we leave terrorist groups will become very powerful and overwhelming to the civilian population. I believe that we should go and that we have over stayed our welcome.

      The death toll in Iraq has exceeded 34,000 and the list of wounded are increasing as we speak from 30,000 and up. When the United States was attacked on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 every citizen wanted to back to Afghanistan and Bomb every town and so George W. Bush launched Operation Active Endeavour & Operation Enduring freedom. After that there has been over 18 operations each causing more civilian deaths than the population of Rhode Island. The death toll of civilian deaths has more than just sad it has become unnecessary and hard to look at. Especially when
these are civilians and over 1,000,000 have been killed. The war has not only affected the dead but it has greatly affected the wounded, 55% of the 30,000 wounded have to be in intensive care for the rest of their Adult lives. The other 45% have come home with frightening images, Dreams, and flash backs that will haunt them forever. Its become so horrible for some that a man, McGinnis, who sustained a traumatic brain injury, extensive shrapnel wounds, damage to his eye and amputation of his left leg above the knee from an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) while serving in the U.S. Navy in Iraq, said, “I wrote Exit Wounds because when I was struggling with horrific pain...