Explain the Roles of External Professionals Who May Work with a School E.G. Educational Pyschologist

Question 2b
Explain the roles of external professionals who may work with a school, e.g. educational psychologist.

There are a large range of professionals who work with the school on a regular basis. They will come in to school and work with the Head teacher and other staff when needed. There are many children in schools today with learning, physical and behavioural difficulties.  

Educational psychologist (EP)

Educational psychologists (EPs) are specially trained psychologists who are also qualified teachers.   Schools will have an EP assigned to them through their local Special Educational Needs Department.
The Ep’s provide advice and support for schools/parents of children with special educational needs and they work closely with the special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO).   They spend time with the individual child to try to establish the reasons for their learning or behaviour problems and provide assessments, observations and recommendations. Once they have established the reasons, they will then present their findings to both school and parents.

Speech and language therapist (SLT)

Speech and language therapists (SLTs) are health professionals who work with children who have difficulties with speech, language and communication, hearing impairment, problems with sound production, autism/difficulties with social communication skills or with eating, drinking and swallowing.
The SLT works in close partnership with the child, their family, school and any other healthcare professionals. Together they share the child’s needs, but it will be SLT who will decide how the child can be helped to reach their full communication potential.
Where a child is being seen by an SLT, appointments may either be clinic-based or setting-based.
With parents’ permission, therapists should ensure that the child’s school receives copies of assessment reports and speech and language programmes, in order that...