Child Abuse

Abuse: Triumph after Tragedy
Dolly Parton once famously said, “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.”   On a Monday morning, back in 2005, it started raining in my life, and it didn’t stop for a very long time.   There hasn’t been a day since that I don’t look in the mirror and see the girl that I used to be and wonder where I would be today if my past had not been as tragic as it had.  
The rain began on that Monday morning while I was at work.   I received a phone call that would inevitably change me forever.   I was in the middle of helping a surgeon perform a procedure when a co-worker interrupted us to inform me that I had a call.   I asked her to kindly take a message; she looked at me and said, “Marie, you are going to want to take this call.”   Based on the concern that was on her face, I stopped what I was doing and went to answer the phone.   It was my oldest child’s father.   He stated that, “Something is wrong with our son.”   He went on to explain that our 5 month old son was very “lethargic” and would not wake up.
Callis 2
I immediately left the west end of Richmond and arrived home, in Urbanna, in exactly 45 minutes.   When I entered the house, I found my son lying there, lifeless.   He moaned when I touched him but would not open his eyes nor respond to my voice in any way.   I quickly gathered him up and took him to his pediatrician, who I had already called to let them know what was going on.  
When we arrived at the doctor’s office, the pediatrician performed a quick examination.   My son was still moaning, but he would not open his eyes, his back was covered with bruises and his head had begun to swell.   My pediatrician looked at me and said, “Head straight to MCV.”   She explained that she thought our son had had a reaction to his vaccinations that he received the previous Friday.   I quickly called my son’s father and asked him to pack a bag as we needed to head to MCV.   He did so and once I arrived home, we...