Carlos P. Garcia

Carlos P. Garcia

Carlos Polistico Garcia was born on November 4, 1896.He was a Filipino teacher, poet,

orator, lawyer, public official, and guerrilla leader. He became the 8th President of the

Philippines and was known for his "Filipino First" policy, which made the interests of the

Filipino people more important then the foreigners and the ruling party.

      He started his political career in 1925 when he got a victory running for

congressman representing the third district of Bohol. He was elected for another

term but only served until 1931 when he ran for governor of Bohol and won. He served

as governor for two terms. He became a member of the congress in 1946, and was elected

three times to the senate for three consecutive terms from 1941 to 1953. Garcia was

elected as vice-president in 1953 and was appointed Secretary of Foreign Affairs under

President Magsaysay. He assumed the presidency on March 23, 1957   the day after

Ramon Magsaysay's death.

      From 1957- 1961 he was the 8th president. During his administration he made the

Bohlen–Serrano Agreement which shortened the lease of the US Bases from 99 years to

25 years and made it renewable after every five years. He also made changes in retail

trade. He made the Filipino First Policy, which he was known for. This policy favored

Filipino businessmen over foreign investors. This meant foreigners could invest capital

up to 40% in a business or industry while the remaining 60% would be owned by

Filipino citizens. Garcia's policies aimed at boosting the economy and obtaining greater

economic independence.

      On June 1, 1971, Garcia was elected delegate of the 1971 Constitutional

Convention because he lost his re-election for presidency against Vice-President

Diosdado Macapagal. The convention delegates elected him as the President of the

Convention. Just days after his election on June 14, 1971, Garcia suffered a fatal heart...