The Federated States of Micronesia

By: Alex Duncan and Kyle McKenzie

Part A – Country Profile


Micronesia is a subregion of Oceania, comprising of thousands of small islands in the western pacific. It is to the north of Melanesia, west of Polynesia and east of the Philippines and Indonesia


The climate is tropical, with heavy year-round rainfall, especially in the eastern islands located on the southern edge of the typhoon belt with occasionally severe damage. The average annual rainfall is 3000mL.

Major Landforms:

There are three major landforms in the ‘Federated States of Micronesia’ these are:

Mount Finkol: is the highest point on the Micronesian island of Kosrae. It rises to a height of 2064ft (619m)
Mount Teroken:   is the highest point on the Micronesian island of Moen in Chuuk state. It rises to a height of 1214 ft (364 m).
Dolohmwar: is the highest point of the Federated States of Micronesia, with an altitude of 2595 feet (791 meteres).


The total population of the Federated States of Micronesia is: 108155 (in 2004)
The population of Kosrae is: 8300
The population of Yap is: 12100
The population of Chuuk is: 57800
The population of Pohnpei is: 37200
The population structure is heavily weighted in favor of the youth and it is expected that the 15 – 24 age group will account for 50% of the population increase in this decade.


97% of the total population of the Federated States of Micronesia is Christian. The other 3% are either Athiest or in small tribal groups.

Natural Resources:

Micronesia’s main natural resources are: Forests, Marine products, Deep-seabed minerals, Phosphate


Economic activity consists primarily of subsistence farming and fishing. The islands have few mineral deposits worth exploiting, except for high-grade phosphate. The potential for a tourist industry exists, but the remote location, a lack of adequate facilities, and limited air...