Beh Week 6

Human Services for Kinship Caregivers

After doing some research on government regulations in regards to kinship caregivers and the children that they care for, there are several policies that are in place for them. There are policies to increase kinship care placements where appropriate. There is Custodial Arrangements, Financial Assistance and medical support. Informal Kinship Care are children living with a relative that is not in state custody. Formal Kinship Care are children that are in state custody, and can become licensed caregivers like foster parents are licensed by the state.
Knowing the different types of custodial arrangements can help decided which arrangement is best for the child and the caregiver.
1. Placement by a written agreement: where parents sign a paper agreeing to give the caregivers authority over minor decisions. If the state is involved a caseworker signs the paper too and will check in on the child and provide support services if need. (Mayfield)
2. Dependency Guardianship: where the child remains in state custody and the dependency guardians have control over minor decisions. (Mayfield)
3. Guardianship: A relative petitions superior court for guardianship. The child would no longer be in state custody and the relative has legal authority for all medical, educational, and other decisions that are for the child. (Mayfield)
4. Third Party custody ( permanent legal): the child is no longer under state care and the relatives gain legal authority for all medical, educational, and other decisions affecting the child. (Mayfield)
5. Adoption: Parents relinquish their rights, and children are no longer dependents of the state and most are not eligible for financial support services. (Mayfield)
  The impact and obstacles that having to be a formal licensed caregiver could possibly cause caregivers to not come forward and seek the necessary help that is needed for the child. Caregivers have a fear of being licensed, one reason being...