Amazon.Com Evolution Evolution
November 17, 2010

When we speak of information systems and how they are forever changing the waycompanies do business,Amazon.comrepresents a perfect example of how a company can adapt to constant change within a competitive market place. This flexibility allows them to stay in the game with large companies like Wal-Mart, Microsoft, and Google. Amazon is always growing and is continuously evolving within the market. Their strategy is to diversify as the market and capabilities of information technology change.  
Amazon.comwas only using 10% of its infrastructure for its online retail business.   The company has developed a strategy to use the other 90% of its $2 billion infrastructure as a service provider to other companies. Amazon.comis definitely moving away from being an online retailer.   Rather than trying to compete with companies like Google, Microsoft, and Wal-Mart in the online shopping market, they are using their large and reliable system to process data. They are allowing companies and individuals access to their infrastructure to help them run the technical and logistical parts of their businesses for a fee. is competing with Google and Microsoft because they have the infrastructure to build a web-based, global computing platform.   So far, it seems to be a wise strategy, thousands of companies are using Amazon’s services.   Companies like Webmail, Powerset, Efficient Frontier, and Casting Word are taking advantage of Amazon’s available computing power.   Time will tell if it is a wise strategy or not but developing the system should give Amazon the edge they need to grow in this market.
Google has developed the GooglePlex platform, which allows Google to do four things. First, it lets them remain a search company and continue to refine its search algorithms and targeted advertising. Second, it would also allow them to become a portal like Yahoo or Microsoft Network (MSN). Third, it developed its role in...